Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Human Adventure is Just Beginning

I have a wacky interview up at Tor.com.

This month has been crazy and weird and scary. I went to New York and saw some of my more favorite people whom I hadn't seen in a while:


(Doyle signs alongside legendary comics legend Rob Liefeld)


(Alexa, confused man, me)


(Here's a link to Nick's drawings)


I also upgraded from my dank Valley apartment and to a superenormous loft headquarters:





I'm still unpacking and getting things in order. Here's my pal Brad sticking some daylight-balanced fluorescents to the ceiling:



2008 caught me off gaurd, in that my best laid plans actually worked out and I ended up making a very respectable and grownup amount of money. I realized, "Wait, maybe this art thing is not a hobby, or a sideline, or something that's going to just dry up. Maybe I should actually invest in having the light and space to get things done."

Having said that, and done that, I am now of course terrified at having raised my rent and expenses so dramatically. I'm not really sure what the correct response is right now (for the world or myself), but I'm pretty sure doing nothing and slowly crenating is the wrong choice. Getting to work and making new stuff seems like the way to go.

4 comments:

Dana said...

Your new loft looks like the apartment from "Big." Well played, sir!

Also, any thoughts on L&O: UK? How about Jeff Goldblum?

Love Ablan said...

Sweeeeet loft! All that sunlight is glorious!

gossegotha said...

"–you know, I’ve either had a family, a job,

something has always been in the

way

but now

I’ve sold my house, I’ve found this

place, a large studio, you should see the space and

the light.

for the first time in my life I’m going to have

a place and the time to

create."



no baby, if you’re going to create

you’re going to create whether you work

16 hours a day in a coal mine

or

you’re going to create in a small room with 3 children

while you’re on

welfare,

you’re going to create with part of your mind and your body blown

away,

you’re going to create blind

crippled

demented,

you’re going to create with a cat crawling up your

back while

the whole city trembles in earthquake, bombardment,

flood and fire.



baby, air and light and time and space

have nothing to do with it

and don’t create anything

except maybe a longer life to find

new excuses

for.



© Charles Bukowski, Black Sparrow Press

bbird said...

If I was you, and you were me, you'd wanna be winning
If you want something bad, yo, you gotta wanna give your all
'Cause I believe so much in we - and know we're not kidding
If you feel the same as me, yo, you gotta want to take the ball

Now can't you see that all we need to be a go-getter
Gotta make your own decisions, you gotta go for what ya know
It comes a time in our lives, you wanna be bigger
Gotta keep, keep on pushing, you gotta learn to take control, yeah

Now I find out that nothing is given
Don't know where the cards may fall
All I know is that we've gotta get it
We've gotta make it on our own

Well I guess we're gonna have to take control
(all on our own)
If it's up to us, we've got to take it home
(all on our own)
Gotta, gotta, take it home, gotta, gotta, gotta take it home

Too hot to handle, too cold to hold
They're called the Ghostbusters and they're in control
Had 'em throwin' a party for a bunch of children
While all the while the slime was under the building
So they packed up their group, got a grip, came equipped
Grabbed their proton packs off their back and they split
Found about Vigo, the master of evil
Try to battle my boys? That's not legal

© Bobby Brown